The accentuation of character is expressed in the disharmony of character development, the predominance of one trait. The phenomenon – not a pathology, but an extreme manifestation of the norm. Individuals with this feature are extremely vulnerable, because a number of situations can knock them out of the rut. Adverse conditions can aggravate the problem and lead to mental deviation – psychopathy. The normal state of mind can smoothly turn into accentuation, and the constant influence of triggers develops into psychopathy.
Features of accentuation and severity
Accentation borders on personality disorders. The main difference – the three criteria for accentuation are not present in a mentally healthy person at the same time. Accentuation traits:
- for an accentuated person, it is characteristic to lose his temper under the influence of psychogenic factors. This happens situationally, after the situation the state is leveled. If we are dealing with a personality disorder, any psychogenic factors will be perceived critically. This affects all spheres of life;
- accentation is characteristic of a certain period in life. This is adolescence, midlife crisis, etc. For a mental disorder, accentuation – a permanent state, regardless of age;
- accent does not interfere with the adaptation and socialization of a person, only in certain situations he experiences discomfort. The disorder has a tremendous impact on the implementation in all spheres of life.
The accentuation of personality traits usually consists in behavior with unbridled ambitions, aspirations, impatience. There are two types of accentuations according to research, E. Lichko:
- Expressive. It is expressed throughout life and is the extreme limit of the norm. The absence of mental trauma does not cause compensation.
- Hide. Only with traumatic events accentuated character traits are fully manifested. A person adapts normally to society.
The outlines of the severity of accentuation can tell a lot about the personality. If a person has problems with accentuation, you should contact a psychologist. For example, it is difficult for a teenager to cope with himself. Then correction is needed.
Types of character accentuations
The most common classification of character accentuation is the Leonhard classification. Each type is dominated by a certain character trait:
- demonstrative. Feature: attracting attention, the desire to always be in the center of attention. In the character traits, self-praise, vanity, the desire to embellish the situation, exposing yourself as the central character;
- stuck. Constant concentration on emotions and experiences. Bearing resentment and experiences are constant companions;
- pedantic. Increased desire to create order, hypercontrol in all spheres. In fact, this is a fear of responsibility and change;
- excitable. Impulsive character, controlled by impulse and aspiration, rationally not considered;
- disthymic. Pessimists in everything, serious, do not like activity;
- hyperthymic. This type is constantly in high spirits, regardless of the situation. Accompanied by active activity and a thirst for action;
- exalted. For everything what is happening in this type of personality follows a violent reaction. Depending on the events, they then fall into sadness, then jump with delight. Extremely impressionable;
- cyclothymic type. Mood and activity depend on events. For example, a joyful event will cause not only a good mood, but also a desire for activity. Sad events are accompanied by grief and lack of desire to do anything;
- emotional. This type is sensitive. These people can be warm-hearted, calm, empathetic, sentimental;
- assoy. Feature: constant anxiety about the future, past and present in the absence of objective reasons for experiences;
- introverted. A person relies entirely on his experience, he is not influenced by situations. Long think about actions;
- extraverted type. Easily influenced by the environment, opinions are not stable and constantly changing.
Psychologist's help in accentuation of character
It is not always necessary to emphasize the character of a psychologist. If the features do not interfere with personal realization in all areas, then the person will cope on their own. If independent attempts to improve the condition have failed, it is better to consult a specialist. In adolescence, for example, such behavior of children interferes with implementation. Therefore, competent correction of behavior is necessary. This will help to adapt and create conditions for their further professional training.
We advise you to read about what pessimism is
For adults, psychological counseling is also relevant when accentuating character, if it is within the normal range, correction is possible. This contributes to personal achievements, self-realization in different spheres of life. Now the psychologist's consultation has moved to a new level and online consultation is possible. This will save time and effort, accelerate the result of work. The psychologist on our site works with the peculiarities of accentuations and helps to get out of critical situations in this state.