Apathy is a phenomenon accompanied by fatigue, reluctance to act and uncertainty. In life, people are often disappointed and tired, but apathy can respond to chronic stress. Everyone has periods of inactivity and apathy, and this negatively affects the quality of life. But apathy can and should be fought, otherwise it will attack more often.
Apathy is not a trifle, but a serious reason to take up your psychological state. This condition can be dangerous, because due to indifference a person can miss somatic diseases.
Why does apathy occur?
To get rid of apathy, it is worth understanding the causes by which it is caused. In psychology, the causes of apathy are divided into internal and external.
A number of mental and neurological disorders are internal. Apathy can occur against the background:
- depressive disorders. Apathy can appear against the background of deep depression and masking depression. The latter is disguised as somatic disorders (back pain, difficulty breathing);
- schizophrenia of a simple type. This schizophrenia develops and proceeds slowly, often imperceptibly for the patient himself. The person becomes emotionally cold, depressed, indifferent;
- the disease of Alzheimer's. This disease affects the frontal lobes of the brain. Apathy can occur due to the defeat of this particular part of the brain and the progression of dementia.
External causes include a number of factors that act as an irritant. External factors that provoke apathy:
- Strong stress. The effect of severe stress leads to post-traumatic stress disorder that has apathetic traits. It can be the loss of a loved one, separation, loss of work, etc.
- Chronic stress provokes emotional burnout. In this scenario, there is a high probability of developing depression and neurasthenia.
- The diseases of the brain. Some diseases affect the brain, which provokes the phenomenon of apathy, lack of emotions.
- Redicting the hormonal background. Hormonal background – fragile thing and it is he who controls emotions. Its violation provokes changes in mood, psychological state.
- Obitive effects of drugs.
Pathy against the background of chronic stress occurs in every second person. It is important to pay attention not only to physical, but also to psychological health. To combat apathy, you need to eliminate the stimulus – go to the doctor, to a psychologist, eliminate stressful situations, establish a sleep and nutrition regimen. Only then will therapy be beneficial.
Symptoms of apathy
Apathy is not an abstract concept, it has its own clinical picture that accurately describes the phenomenon. It takes away from a person the desire to live, the motivation for something. Important stimuli should be present for a full life and performance. Knowing the symptoms, if they are present, apathy is easy to recognize. Symptoms of apathy include:
The first time of symptoms, a person can talk about the presence of apathy. But the further the symptoms develop, the deeper the person goes into himself and into his problems. Loved ones need to pay attention – if a person complains of a painful condition, ignore not worth it.
Do you know who an ambivert is? We advise you to read
Clinical signs of apathy are the presence of symptoms for a month. Then you should contact a specialist: take tests for hormones, do an MRI, go to a psychotherapist for an appointment.
How to diagnose and cure apathy?
Man with complaints of apathy should understand that contacting specialists – the only way out. Apathy may not have a psychological cause, but be the result of a physical illness. The patient should go to a doctor, psychotherapist. If he is diagnosed with apathy, then the psychologist conducts a number of therapeutic measures. It is difficult for a person to independently eliminate apathy – he is mired in a putin of experiences and disappointments and spends every day in this state. It seems to him, that this is temporary, but apathy can drag on and lead to irreversible consequences.
The most effective method is individual psychotherapy. The influence of the stress factor must be eliminated, and if it cannot be eliminated, you need to learn how to cope with it. During the session, a person learns to cope with stress factors, think positively and fight fears. If necessary, the psychotherapist prescribes pharmacotherapy. With the help of tablets, you can regulate the condition.
The psychologist on our site will help you cope with the state of apathy and return to a full life. This can be done online – just one click.
- particle or complete loss of motivation;
- transfers in the emotional sphere and unusual behavior: previous hobbies are not interesting, difficulty in concentration, a person does not want to communicate;
- changes in career and personal relationships: the above reasons begin to actively manifest themselves in these areas and negatively affect them;