Today, you can easily find a psychologist who provides psychological assistance for free. However, do not assume that this is altruism. Often this practice pursues a certain goal. This can be a planned action to replenish the client base, or to advertise services. Another option is young and novice psychologists who practice for free to gain experience.
Whatever the goal of providing psychological care for free, you can get a really good service and solve your problem. But you can also harm yourself by turning to an incompetent psychologist, which will lead not to a solution, but to aggravation of your problem. Psychotherapy is not an area for amateur psychologists. It is primarily human health, which depends on the competence, professionalism and responsibility of the specialist. Therefore, if a psychologist provides his services for free, this does not mean that these services should be of poor quality.
So, if you decide to seek free help from a psychologist, what points you need to pay attention to so as not to harm yourself.
- Each of all, ask a psychologist to provide you with a document confirming his education. This can be a diploma of higher psychological education, as well as various certificates of advanced training.
- A huge plus will be if the psychologist you choose has confirmed work experience. This reduces the risk that you will be provided with poor-quality psychological assistance due to the inexperience of a novice psychologist.
- Test out from the psychologist for what purpose he provides psychological assistance for free.
- Assy about privacy. If it is essential for you to remain anonymous, you should be sure that a psychologist will provide you with such an opportunity.
- If you doubt the competence and professionalism of the psychologist and can not properly trust him, it is better to look for another psychologist, because psychological work without trust is wasted time. This will not lead to the desired result.
Is free help from a psychologist professional?
If you do not know how to determine how professionally a free online psychologist works, we recommend that you pay attention to the following:
- First of all, remember, a real psychologist does not give advice. Psychotherapy is not a place for advice, recommendations, instructions or ready-made schemes of action. There should not be a pronounced position of the psychologist. The psychologist should create a non-evaluative space in which you will feel comfortable and can come to your own conclusions.
- Professional psychologist will never compare you to himself, his friends or other clients. He works only with you and during your general work, the psychologist should be involved in your situation, and not think at this moment about other people.
- Sychologist-professional should not make you dependent on yourself. If you feel that you can not step without your psychologist, if you feel his importanceWith each session more and more, it means that you are in the network of dependence. Naturally, this does not solve your initial problems, but adds new ones.
- A real psychologist will not talk too much about himself, his family, his achievements. If you began to notice that you know about your psychologist almost as much as about yourself, then think about who is paid attention during the session.
- Competent psychologist will never violate the boundaries of a professional relationship. If you feel that your psychologist is trying to persuade you to something (for example, to have a sexual relationship), manipulate you or violate your personal boundaries, know that such a psychologist should be disposed of as soon as possible. Otherwise, you will receive even more psychological trauma than before contacting a psychologist.
The points described above apply not only to psychologists who provide free psychological help. Unfortunately, paid psychologists are also not always professionals.
N't matter if you choose a free or paid psychologist, always include critical thinking. This will help you avoid unwanted mistakes on the way to solving your problem.