Bertie Forbes, the founder of Forbes magazine, wrote an essay in 1917 titled «Keys to Success. Like most people on the cover of his magazine, he was not just a clever junkie. He was a wise man. We are happy to quote his basic tenets about the meaning of life and business:
- Your happiness depends on you.
- You are laying your own course.
- You form your own state.
- You teach yourself.
- You should think with your head.
- You should live with your mind.
- Your mind belongs only to you – and only you can use it.
- You come into this world alone. And you leave it alone, too. On a journey through this world, you are alone with your thoughts.
- Your decisions are made by you and only you.
- You are responsible for the consequences of your actions.
- You and only you are responsible for your habits and your health.
- You internalize new thoughts and subdue material objects.
- You can be taught by different teachers, but mastering knowledge – your independent work. No teacher is able to put knowledge in your head.
- Only you are able to control your thinking and the work of the cells of your brain. All the wisdom of the ages can open up before you, but if you are not ready to learn it, it will be useless for you; no one can get into your skull.
- You and only you command your legs. You and only you can move your hands. You and only you can give orders to your palms. You and only you control your muscles.
You can stand on your own two feet – both literally and figuratively.
- Your parents are not able to enter your body, control the work of your organs and the course of your thoughts. They cannot make something different out of you.
- You can't replace your child in battles – he or she will win each one on his own.
- You need to form your own ideals.
It is worth reading about how to stop internal dialogue
- You need to create your own ideas.
- You should subdue your language.
- Your life – these are your thoughts.
- Your thoughts are created by you.
- Your character – the fruit of your labor. You and only you can give up anything that should not constitute your character.
- You are the creator of your own personality.
- You write your own history.
- You erect a monument or dig a grave yourself.
What exactly are you doing right now?