New Year's holidays are a wonderful occasion to meet with friends and acquaintances over a cup of tea, discuss everyday issues, share impressions. Just like this, on Christmas Eve, an hour was opened for a long-awaited conversation with a friend. We met, talked about family affairs. Svetlana manages an investment company, brings up two teenagers.
Son - Vasya, a high school graduate. The guy studies well, has good mathematical and analytical abilities, sees himself in the future as a financial analyst, expressed a desire to get an education at a prestigious educational institution in Canada. At the family council, Vasya enlisted the support of his parents, grandparents, his uncle, who has lived in Toronto for 15 years, promised to help in organizational matters. But the admission and study -the matter is already personal, you will have to rely on yourself and only on yourself. Having studied all the basic requirements for applicants, Svetlana and her son decided to talk honestly — he does not reach such a high level. Vasya's desire has not disappeared, rather the opposite: there is a reason to learn something new. And final testing with a new level of knowledge will no longer be a problem. There are six months, which means that the training should be very intense. That's what we decided.
In the list of disciplines that require a special approach immediately got mathematics and English - high school grades in these subjects are not indicators of the really necessary level. And a separate line in large letters made the list of French -vasya never learned it, no one knows this language in the family, in France there were once and for a long time. But, as we remember, Canada has 2 official languages, French and English. Although training is supposed to be in English, it is difficult to live in a country without a second language, it will not be possible not to know it, especially if your plans are ambitious
And here, Svetlana was puzzled by the search for options how to increase the level of knowledge of subjects and learn a new foreign language. Options were considered different: and to study independently, and find good tutors, and go to courses. Each way had many pros and cons, but settled on the following: Vasya does mathematics with a tutor 2 times a week, English – on courses with a native speaker, and French – with a tutor 4 times a week for 1 hour 2 months, and from the middle of March goes to the courses. I wondered why it was, because from my point of view it was more logical in a different way. Svetlana's explanations seemed to me quite viable and very interesting
In this case, it is the language of admission, training, communication. In other words, english proficiency at a high level, though not the only, but necessary factor. In favor of the courses spoke such arguments:
1. The final level to which you need to come in a certain time is defined. Therefore, there will be no options to deviate somewhere.
2. Classes will not be postponed, will not be postponed - the schedule of classes disciplines.
3. Constant conversational practice in groups, additional conversation clubs -this is what you need.
4. Since the current level of language proficiency is quite high, special systematization is not required. However, trends in modern English can be traced in all sections of the gramIt is necessary to study them comprehensively.
5. Presumably, the level of other students in the group is higher, which means that there is a need to pull up. Resting on your laurels, as in school in the classroom, will not work!
6. At the courses there is an opportunity to communicate with like-minded people, change the situation.
7. The practice of influencing the audience, and even in English - it's wonderful! The courses provide for the protection of reports, negotiation and other interesting practices.
8. Courses are prepared directly for IELTS
Of course, given the busy schedule of the last school year, each of the above points can turn from positive to negative. However, after weighing all the pros and cons, the decision is made.