Sport has long been an integral part of the life of a modern person. It not only gives you the opportunity to maintain yourself in excellent physical shape, but also allows you to realize ambitions, for some people it becomes a life's work.
In order to achieve excellent results in training, take prizes at competitions, train novice athletes, a systematic approach, adherence to the regime and regular training are necessary
As any other sphere, sport requires not only physical health, but also emotional stability. There are cases when people abandon training because they do not succeed. Defeat in competitions, injuries and other troubles that occur in the way of every athlete can demotivate and push to leave the sport. If a person is engaged in a solo sport, such a decision will affect his career and the success of the coach, as for team views, the refusal of one of the key players will negatively affect the game of the whole team.
This to avoid such cases, to maintain the motivation and general morale of athletes, there is such a profession as a sports psychologist.
What does a sports psychologist do?
This specialists work in several directions. They provide one-time consultations or accompany the athlete for a certain time, and are also part of the permanent employees of sports clubs and sections.
In the duties of a sports psychologist include:
- determining the inclinations of the future athlete to a certain sport;
- deer champions;
- diagnosis of psychological characteristics and attitudes of athletes;
- formation of psychological qualities that are necessary for the development and desire for victory;
- diagnosis of the athlete's condition and readiness for competitions;
- correction of negative manifestations and moods;
- work with fears, complexes and negative attitudes;
- work with the team, creating a healthy atmosphere within the team;
- psychological assistance in case of injuries, losses, conflicts;
- orientation of the athlete's activities after the end of his career.
It is a sports psychologist with the help of special techniques can reveal not only the desire and readiness of a person to engage in a certain sport, but also how much he can do it. The formation of the right attitudes and the unity of the team enable athletes to cope with the difficulties that they face at the stage of training and competitions.
Soly important is the preparation for the competition, as well as the subsequent support, regardless of the result. The preparation process and the competitions themselves are accompanied by increased physical and emotional stress, which can lead to disorders in the athlete's body. The task of a sports psychologist is to control and correct such conditions.
What methods does a sports psychologist use?
The selection of the approach depends on the sport that the athlete is engaged in, as well as on the tasks facing the psychologist in a particular case. It is important to understand that accompanied byA sports specialist lasts longer than consultations with private or family psychologists. In the latter case, the sessions can last one or more months, the sports psychologist can consult for years with a certain periodicity.
The materials that sports psychologists use fall into two categories:
In subjective refers to interviewing the athlete and his immediate environment and observation. Observation sports psychologist can carry out both during training, performances at competitions, and in everyday life. At the same time, audio or video recordings, analysis of materials in social networks, etc. In the process, speech, mimicry, body movements, interaction with people are analyzed. Particular attention is paid to conflict situations when the athlete is in an excited state, this includes the reaction rate, the level of aggression, etc. Despite the fact that the evaluation criteria are not developed by the psychologist himself, the method is called subjective due to the fact that he makes the final decision based on his own impressions and experience
As for objective ones, a special technique is used in the process of such an assessment. These can be both questionnaires compiled using various psychological techniques, and devices that record eye movement, reaction speed, analyze cognitive processes. These include eye tracking, virtual reality technologies, biofeedback technologies.
Shoe tests may be performed regularly in order to monitor and monitor the condition of the athlete, as well as in cases where the psychologist observes changes in his behavior or condition.
Where do sports psychologists work?
The services of a sports psychologist are used by various sports organizations, as well as private athletes working with a coach.
On a regular basis, these professionals are part of the staff:
- educational institutions with a sports bias;
- sport clubs and sections;
- rehabilitation and health centers;
- research institutes.
Psychologists work with children, adolescents and adults from different social groups. As for the sport itself, it can be both sections focused on general development and local competitions, and teams of the Olympic reserve, national teams. Special attention is paid to army sports and rehabilitation after injuries received in combat zones. In such cases, a sports psychologist should have special training and a wider profile.
The work of sports psychologists does not always consist in direct contact with athletes. They are also part of the teaching staff of sports and pedagogical educational institutions, are engaged in research and development of new methods of work. To do this, they can periodically enter various sports commissions as observers, recording indicators and results, conducting interviews, observations and tests.
What skills should a sports psychologist have?
Yes, to cope with the tasks, a sports psychologist must have a general psychological education, practical experience, as well as deep knowledge of the features and requirements of the sport with which he works
Work with athletes takes place in several stages, which can be repeated with a certain periodicity:
- Psychodiagnostics - it includes the relationship of psychological and physical processes, different ways and intensity of manifestations. It is also necessary to correctly assess the current state of the athlete, external and internal factors that affect him, as well as personality properties.
- Psychological training - it may be needed by both athletes and coaches. It is carried out at the stage of intensive training before the competition, as well as throughout the period with a special emphasis on the final stages.
- Situational consultations are necessary if psychodiagnostics shows abnormalities. These can be anxiety disorders, depression, as well as the negative influence of external factors that the athlete cannot cope with on his own.
- Consultational support - is carried out in the format of recommendations to the athlete's environment. This includes the coaching staff, team members, family, relatives, friends. This stage is especially important during the rehabilitation period after injuries.
This a positive result, a sports psychologist must establish a trusting relationship with the entire team and coaching staff, this requires communication skills and a certain time.
Where can I find a sports psychologist in Russia or Ukraine and other countries?
If you need a private consultation for yourself, a child, an athlete you train or a sports team, you can find a sports psychologist with the help of our service
Specialists consult online, this will allow you to choose a psychologist from anywhere in the world.